Thursday, July 5, 2012

Another Little Poem

I twist the ring around my finger,
pull it off then put it on again.
I sit down on the grass
beside you. I tell you about
my day, how I
saw an old friend
bought a new shirt
found a penny on the ground.
The wind comes then and
I swear I can smell your
perfume, the one that smells
like daisies and red candy.
I stop talking and silence folds
around us. I keep playing with
the ring, but when I try to put it
back on it won’t fit.

I feel it then,
a tear running down my cheek
and then more come and
they won’t stop and it’s so
cold and my fingers are
trembling and I can’t get this
damn ring back on.
I close my eyes and
fall back against the grass
right beside you. I tell you about
my day, how I
stayed awake for hours
smelled your perfumes
stared at old pictures of you
until I had them memorized.
And I lie there next to you
and imagine you are
holding my hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment