Thursday, May 24, 2012

Some Things I Have Learned

I have grown a lot in my writing over the last few years, thanks to much encouragement and inspiration from others. Writing is about sharing experiences, connecting with people, creating something meaningful, and it is so important to be involved with other writers. This is how we learn from each other. This is how we grow. 

So here are some things I have learned about writing: 

1. You don't have to have everything planned out. I have always been a bit of a control freak with my stories, figuring out exactly what would happen and how it would end before I started writing. This is not good. It limits your creativity and your freedom. As strange as it sounds, let your characters guide you. Let the story write itself - don't force it. Obviously you have to have a general direction in mind, but sometimes you will be surprised. Sometimes you don't figure something out until you've written it. And when this happens, when your story unfolds itself before you, it's pure magic. 

2. Calm down on the adverbs and adjectives. 

3. First drafts are going to be disgusting. I still struggle with this as I find myself constantly editing over what little I've written instead of pushing ahead. The first draft is your words spilling out, your ideas leaking onto the page. Write what comes to you and worry about the details later. 

4. Know your characters. Whenever I'm having a bit of a block I ask what does this character want? What are they working toward? What drives them? Your characters are the center of the plot, so you need to understand them. You need to see the world as they do. But again, be careful not to limit them. 

5. Writing is hard. It is beautiful and emotional and rewarding but it is hard. There will be dry stretches, periods of frustration, moments of disappointment. Times when you want to give it all up and just work as a princess at Disneyland. But there are also times of absolute wonder and truth, of celebration and pride. Of pure creation. These are the moments that make everything worth it. These are the moments that you live for. These are the moments that remind you why you love to write. 

A small note for writers: On Writing by Stephen King is an excellent book about his journey as a writer with some wonderful tips and encouragement 

No comments:

Post a Comment